Tuesday 11 December 2012

WHO'S A DIRTY GIRL THEN?

Box of Treats, Debenhams, £20

I very rarely venture into the big, expensive department stores in the  large shopping centres. However, after being given a task from my Mum to  find a Christmas present suitable for my thirteen-year-old cousin, I  decided that it was time I bought her a more impressive ‘grown up’  gift. I was instructed to buy either make-up or nail varnish - something along those lines. I don't have a problem with her wearing  make up at age thirteen; this is the age I began harmlessly  experimenting with mascara and eye shadow, and attempting to cover up my ever-worsening acne with foundation. It is evident that  wearing make up from such a young age can stem from insecurities and  outside pressures; however, I believe it can also be seen as a suitable  and acceptable form of self-expression. With this in mind, I set my sights on choosing a gift that was fun, young,  good quality and, above all, appropriate. 




I began searching through 
several of these department stores but I found many, if not all, of the 
make-up related items to be far too serious looking and 
realistically aimed at adult women.

I came across a small section in one store, which was full of bright 
colours and loud patterns: pinks, purples, turquoise, polka dots, cute 
ribbons, bows and cupcakes! Everything was beautifully presented and, 
judging by the price, was of a reasonable quality. Finally! Alas, no. On closer 
inspection, one of these pretty looking collections, seemingly aimed at 
teenage girls, was labeled ‘Floozie’. Definitions of the word ‘floozie’ include,

‘A gaudily dressed, usually immoral woman... a prostitute’, ‘A woman who has a lot of sexual relationships, or who wears clothes 
that attract sexual attention in a way that is too obvious’. Now correct me if I’m wrong, but no woman, regardless of age, would 
want to be described as ‘immoral’ or a ‘prostitute’ in response to her 
sexual endeavors, and whose place is it to tell her that this may be 
the case, especially on the side of a wash bag? My point here is that 
firstly these products that appear to be sweet and cute are advertently labelling their buyers as sexual fiends who don’t know right from wrong. 
Secondly, while this may be considered appropriate for women over the 
age of eighteen, who understand the word’s ridiculous connotations, 
this is definitely not deemed appropriate for pre-teen/teenage girls 
who may find the packaging cute and appealing, in the same way they 
would find One ‘you don’t know you’re beautiful so we’re playing on 
your insecurities’ Direction cute and appealing.

In this same department store, another vintage-inspired 
collection of make up and toiletries had phrases such as “Who’s a dirty 
girl then?’ and ‘Hey, let’s get nailed!’ plastered across boxes and 
cases. Admittedly, this collection from first viewing seemed to be 
aimed at an older audience of women. As a young feminist woman I found 
that after reading these seedy, unnecessary phrases I didn't want to buy one of their products, I wanted to go home and take a long bath to feel clean 
again, but maybe that’s the point? 


Floozie clasp wash bag, Debenhams, £15

After recently reading Ariel Levy’s Female Chauvinist Pigs, it has been 
brought to my attention that Playboy are also to blame for targeting 
young girls, with rabbit head infested products such as single bed covers and pencil cases*.
 

So, after all that, what did I get? I marched to Boots, and found exactly what I was looking for. I 
chose ‘17 Nail Clash Complete Collection’, a neat nail art set filled 
with a variety of nail varnish, a nail art pen, nail gems and patterned 
nail covers. At only £20 I felt that this neat, 
sophisticatedly put-together set was not only appropriate for a 
thirteen-year-old girl, but also that it would inspire creativity and 
self-expression, encouraging my cousin to carry out such routines as 
painting her nails to make herself, and no one else, happy and 
comfortable.

17 Nail Clash Complete Collection, Boots, £20

*To learn more about this issue, please visit  Bin The Bunny, an active campaign against Playboy.






BY ANNA

No comments:

Post a Comment