Thursday 2 May 2013

PERSPECTIVE IS AN AMAZING THING


The right perspective allows you to see things as they really are or from someone elses point of view. A lack of perspective can result in massive misunderstandings, anxiety and even bullying. Being autistic can often mean that a lack of perspective is inherent. It doesn't mean that perspective isn't gained eventually, but until it is – the effects can be wholly damaging. I was diagnosed as having Aspergers 5 years ago. However I did suffer bullying for a very long time before that. My diagnosis provided me with answers, and eventually coping mechanisms – and that led to my confidence returning. I realised that my lack of confidence, and understanding about myself allowed others to pick on me. It allowed others to be strong when they saw me as weak, and I was submissive out of fear of reprisals for standing up for myself.


Since then I have been very much involved in my local Autism community. I have raised money, awareness and stood up for Autism. I also have worked with people on the spectrum which has allowed me to understand others and how their Autism affects them. It also has opened my eyes to how much bullying occurs – offline and online.


The internet allows people to find their voice – neurotypical and autistic alike. However some voices are louder than others and they drown out the quieter ones. Having seen a lot of forums relating to ASD over the past 5 years – I have been privy to arguments, cronyism, exploitation and victimisation. All by people with ASD to people with ASD. Now don't get me wrong, we are not all angels – having a disability does not mean we are pure as the driven snow and incapable of negative behaviours. But we do know the difference between right and wrong.

I have always been a firm believer in challenging negative behaviours, and bettering myself. I believe everyone to some extent is capable of this. However it comes more easily for some people than others. Otherwise ASD would not be the varied disability it is. It's called a spectrum for a reason. Having a resolute belief that you are right can be great under the right circumstances. However when it results in upset, anxiety and self harm – it's not so great. That is why I feel that bullying in the Autism community is all down to perspective. Lack of empathy is supposed to be a big part of ASD. I don't feel this is true. I know a lot of people who exhibit a lot of empathy – however it often comes after the fact, and usually when someone points out how an outburst in a classroom, or angry message online can have a devastating effect on someone else. It can be expanded upon by explaining just because you can understand things in a certain way or level of language – doesn't mean that the person you are having problems with does. Using overly complicated language on purpose to someone you know has issues with understanding it is bullying. Calling them stupid for that same reason is bullying.

Getting angry at that person for getting upset after they try to explain the best way to talk to them, or approach them – is bullying. Standing back and allowing it to happen – is enabling bullying. There needs to be a happy medium when we express ourselves – not too many rules that make us feel like children, and not a complete lack of them that allows the stronger voiced to dominate the less strong.


We are supposed to be a community. We fight bullying from the rest of the world everyday.

We should not be fighting each other.

JULIE

No comments:

Post a Comment