Thursday 21 March 2013

GRANNY CHIC



This week I’m going to write a review of one of my favourite books of the moment, Granny Chic. I got this book for Christmas (Christmas did seem to bring a lot of craftspiration!), and I have been in love with it since. Rachelle of Ted and Agnes and Tif of Dottie Angel explain things simply and clearly, and it is so easy to dive in and just revel in the prettiness. This is just the kind of book I like, with instructions on various projects that leave plenty of room for you to create something unique and in your own style, and lots and lots of beautiful and inspirational photos. I don’t know how you feel, but personally I am not a fan of very prescribed project books – I prefer inspiration and then doing something with it! Tif and Rachelle leave plenty of room for you to add your own ideas, and well as inspiring you with their own style.

Currently, I am working on two projects from the book – the granny puff blanket, and an upcycled lampshade. There was a slight issue with the blanket pattern due to a small misprint, but you can get the correct details from Rachelle’s blog and after that, there was no bother! My blanket seems to be growing quite quickly, and I can’t wait to get it all finished and snuggle down under it.

The upcycled lampshade is a little experiment for me. I found a small lampshade for 99p in a charity shop and I thought it just had to be done! So, following Tif and Rachelle’s instructions, I ripped everything off it, dug around to find some vintage lace, emptied my stash of ribbons and goodies, and set to work! This lampshade is unfinished at the moment, but I so am looking forward to hanging it up. I decided to put lots of hints of glitter in it, as even though I won’t be using it as a lampshade, I want it to catch the light and play with it.
If you’re into crafting or upcycling or prettifying, or even just know someone who is, I would so recommend this book! It’s the perfect gift for a someone who can’t stop creating, and it is guaranteed to unblock a creative blockage.

JENNY

2 comments:

  1. ooooo! I want to pick up this book! Sounds awesome! Also excited to see your finished blanked and lamp shade!

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I've just started the granny puff blanket and after reading your comment about the small error, tried the link but I don't have permission to read the ted and agnes blog. Can you remember what the error was? Best regards, Sarah

    ReplyDelete