Tuesday 11 June 2013

PRETTY PROFESSIONAL


 Recently Laura Fernee was chastised within the media for declaring that she is too pretty to be taken seriously at work. Many women I’m sure can associate with the embarrassing and uncomfortable effects of street harassment, which often seems harmless to men and women who don’t experience it. Personally street harassment can ruin my day, and often make me not want to leave the house, so imagine having this feeling daily at your workplace. Although Fernee’s argument may be controversial and arguable, I can understand her stance on the subject. During her interview on ITV’s This Morning, she explained that her male and female colleagues made her feel inadequate intellectually by assuming her glamorous exterior defined her personality and academic abilities, for example, a fitted dress, lipstick or pearl necklace.
As a young woman fresh out of University, I have begun the job search, and for the first time I have started to consider what I would wear in professional circumstances, for example, a job interview. I don’t believe that your individuality and unique qualities should be boxed into a boring business cliché, and if at any point you are in danger of not being taken seriously because of an overtly feminine or sexy style, I would simply put this down to sadly jealous and intimidated co-workers. Dress to suit yourself, and always be true to your personal style, whatever the environment.
ANNA
images - laura fernee, jackets m&s, dorothy perkins, river island.

No comments:

Post a Comment